It is very important that girls should receive appropriate medical care between the ages of 13 and 25. Every girl should go for a counselling from gynaecologist after attaining the puberty, i.e. after start of menstrual period, to avoid any future gynaecological problems. A gynaecologist is a very important person on the list of a woman’s health care professionals.
There are a few situations that indicate one should make an appointment with a Gynaecologist
Pelvic pain and abdominal discomfort:
- Sharp pelvic pain may be a warning sign that you have an infection, a ruptured ovarian cyst, or a dangerous ectopic pregnancy(a pregnancy growing outside the uterus),
- More constant pain or a feeling of fullness in the abdomen is suggestive of uterine fibroids, which are non-cancerous tumours.
- Another potential source of regular pelvic pain is endometriosis
Unusual discharge or soreness in the genital area
- Changes in discharge as well as itching and burning around your vagina could indicate some type of vaginitis. Two major culprits are yeast and bacterial infections, which can be treated with medication. Very painful genital sores could be a sign of herpes, says Weiss.
- Pain during sex can be felt as deep pelvic pain or soreness in your genital area. Common causes are vaginal dryness, infections, or uterine fibroids
Bleeding between periods/postmenopausal bleeding
- Post-menopausal bleeding (PMB) is vaginal bleeding or Spotting that happens at least 12 months after a woman has stopped having menstrual cycles due to menopause. This could be a sign of an injury to the vagina, a miscarriage, or even cancer of the cervix or uterus
Delayed periods/missed periods
- Uterine fibroids, an infection, or a thyroid problem could be one of the reasons for missing period.
Problems with urination or bowel movements
- Urinary incontinence or difficulty moving your bowels can be symptoms of pelvic floor problems.
If you are experiencing any of these warning signs, please contact Dr. SARAH HUSSAIN who is experienced in handling a variety of such gynaecological issues . She can evaluate the problem and provide accurate treatment to help you get back to the best feeling of being healthy.