During last decades some observations confirmed that a very low or very high body weight could create disorders of the menstrual cycle, infertility and reduce fertility. Women’s weight and body composition is significantly influenced by the female sex-steroid hormones. So there is a correlation between obesity and menstrual cycle.
Some of the gynic problems that relates with weight are:
- One of the most common gynaecological disorders associated with over weight is polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- With an increase in weight results in skipping menstrual cycle
- Heavy blood flow during periods
- Women who desire pregnancy and ovuation, the effects of obesity on the menstrual cycle can be frustrating as well, since a large percentage of infertile couples suffer from ovulatory dysfunction. Extra-weight increases the concentration of estrogens (women hormones) which could disturb the ovulation.
- Increased risk for miscarriage, both spontaneously and after infertility treatment
- Increased prevalence of pregnancy-induced hypertension, gestational diabetes, cesarean section, and Down syndrome