Interstitial cystitis(IC) or Painful bladder Syndrome or bladder pain syndrome (BPS) is a chronic inflammation of the bladder wall. It is a feeling of pain and pressure in the bladder area and disease of the bladder characterized by urinary frequency and urgency, irritable voiding, and pelvic pain. It is a chronic, debilitating syndrome.
What are the Symptoms?
- Bladder pressure and pain that gets worse as your bladder fills up.
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Pain in your lower tummy, lower back, pelvis, or urethra (the tube that carries pee from your bladder out of your body)
- Pain, pressure, or tenderness in the pelvic area
- Urgency to urinate both day and night
What are the causes?
There is no exact cause but some factors may play key role in Painful bladder syndrome or IC or BPS
- A defect in the bladder wall that allows substances in the urine to irritate the bladder.
- The body’s immune system attacks the bladder.
- A specific type of cell that releases histamine (HISS-tuh-meen) (chemical released during an allergic reaction) and other chemicals, which lead to symptoms of IC/BPS.
- Something in the urine that damages the bladder.
- Changes in the nerves that carry bladder sensations, making normal events, such as bladder filling, painful.
If you are experiencing bladder problems you can contact Sarah Hussain who specialise in bladder problems. Call for an appointment with her!!